If you are looking for practical support throughout your career in the entertainment industry Equity membership is for you. Here are the main benefits of membership or you can hear directly from members about why Equity matters - just click here
Job Information Service
- The Equity Job Information Serv ice gives Members up-to-date, accurate information on real, paid work opportunities across the industry.
Tax and Welfare Support
- Free advice on National Insurance, tax, Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), welfare benefits and pensions. If necessary we take cases on behalf of members to tribunals. We run a helpline two days per week on Mondays and Thursdays.
Public Liability Insurance (PLI)
- Full Equity members automatically have up to £10 million in PLI. For many members this is an essential protection for their working lives and this cover provides unbeatable value. (Please note stage hypnotist members can get PLI but have to contribute substantially to the premium). There is subsidised top-up cover available for Fire Artists for a small extra payment. Equity Student members are covered for up to £2 million in PLI. Equity members can print off a personalised Public Liability Insurance certificate from this web site. Full insurance cover details are here
Accident and Backstage Insurance
- Equity members are automatically covered for accident and backstage insurance which operates overseas as well as in the UK if you are usually resident in the UK. It provides support if you are unable to work due to an accident and should not be confused with personal injury compensation (see Legal Support).There is also extra accident insurance for dancers and physical artists which costs a small top up fee per year. Full insurance details are here
Equity Members’ Personal Pension
- The Equity Members' Personal Pension Scheme is the only one into which theatre, radio and tv employers pay. Members need to register (free) to take out an individual policy so you can give the number to employers.
Workshops and Training
- Award winning free resources and workshops for our members - find out more at www.feutraining.org. There are also free resources for members in Wales. We support the Actors’ Centres which provide programmes of short courses in professional development. There is training support for Equity Deputies and Equity Ambassadors, Equality Reps and members of committees and branches.
Pay and Conditions
- Minimum terms and conditions across the entertainment industry and guidelines for work in areas where there are no representative bodies. Working under Equity terms is the best protection you can have. Members must discuss with us, before signing, contracts for any overseas work, including dance and cruises. We also advise members working on non-Equity contracts. Full texts of Equity contracts are available on this web site for Equity members.
- Successful national and international lobbying of employers, governments and other bodies on a wide range of issues that affect you and the industry. Find out more here
- Membership brings discounts on parking, hotels, restaurants, health and beauty, tickets, websites, photography and lots lots more
- Being a member makes a positive statement about your commitment to your vocation and your place in the industry. Your Equity card is a universally recognised symbol of your status as a professional.
Your Professional Name
- We reserve this as long as it is not used by another member. Names are crucial for the distribution of royalties and other payments and credits and casting clarity.
- We represent members individually or collectively in disputes with employers.
Help and Advice
- We advise members and/or their agents whether it be about contracts and conditions for working in the UK or overseas or areas of the business that are new to you. Your local Equity branch can also be of help in some matters.
Royalties and Other Payments
- Each year Equity distributes hundreds of thousands of pounds in payments for use of members’ work in television and film re-runs, sales of DVDs, videos and audio recordings, e.g. cast albums.
- Where it is believed that there are outstanding royalties and/or residuals from productions made on Equity contracts, we investigate, recover and distribute these monies. We also monitor developments in intellectual property rights.
- Free legal advice and support in disputes over professional engagements including contracts and personal injury claims. If we take on a case we pay the legal fees and the member receives the full amount of any award given by the court. To register a personal injury claim there is a 24hour free phone. We also provide assistance with personal legal matters such as wills, probate and conveyancing.
Bullying Reporting Line
- If you are experiencing bullying at work, members can let us know by calling the reporting line 020 7670 0268 . There are helpful anti-bullying materials in the members' area of this site
- This provides Equity dancers and choreographers access to support and services from unions throughout Europe.
- This is held at head office and is in the Members’ Area of www.equity.org.uk. To add to the list please email the details to email@example.com
- The award winning Equity Magazine is sent directly to all members and student members and has news, features and articles. Members also get other Equity publications, isuch as the Review of the Year, Guides, Diary and standard contracts.
- The site has hundreds of pages of news, information and documents plus the , Directories and Campaign updates. It is also a gateway to the wider industry via the Links pages. The Members’ Area is home to the Job Information Service , detailed information, copies of insurance policies and certificates, forums and much more. You can also pay your subscription online if you are within 13 weeks of your expiry date.
On line Directories
- Members submit their details directly via the Members’ Area of the website and can also edit their entries. Other online directories such as Walk on and Supporting artists have been done in partnership with Spotlight and can be found at www.spotlight.com.
- Equity is made up of thousands of creative people from every genre, age and many cultures. Our structures such as branches give you the opportunity to network and to share and benefit from members’ experience and support. You can also join in on the online forums or get involved with our Facebook , Twitter and other social networking groups Our highly experienced regional and national professional staff are also available to you for advice and support.
- Members and student members can use our one-to-one Careers and Learning Advice Service.
Health and Safety
- Equity monitors health and safety legislation, advises the Health and Safety Executive, financially supports the Healthier Dancer Programme and provides H & S guidelines and advice for members. Members should always call us if you have an accident at work and put the details in the venue’s Accident Book.
Medical Support (BAPAM)
- Equity supports the British Association of Performing Arts Medicine (BAPAM) which provides free advice and clinical assessment for members and student members who need help with any performance related medical, psychological or dental problem.
- The Equity Benevolent Fund (EBF) makes grants to members facing financial hardship and the Evelyn Norris Trust (ENT) provides support towards rest, recuperation and convalescence. Equity’s International Committee for Artists Freedom (ICAF) and the International Performers Aid Trust (IPAT) help performers and venues overseas. Members can also call on the Equity Charitable Trust for help. www.equitycharitabletrust.org.uk. We are grateful to those members who leave bequests to our charities in their wills.
- The TUC has set up Union Energy to give union members a good deal on mains gas and electricity. The agreement is with Scottish Power.
Industry Information Service
- Agents and industry organisations subscribe to get regular updates about Equity Agreements, rates.