How can I join?
Equity is the UK trade union that represents performers and other artists working across the live and recorded entertainment industry. Our membership is made up of all kinds of performing arts students, professional performers and creative practitioners such as:
- theatre directors
- stage management,
- stand ups,
- stunt performers and co-ordinators,
- theatre designers
- theatre fight directors,
- TV and radio presenters,
- variety, circus, cabaret and light entertainment artists,
- voice artists,
- walk-on and supporting artists.
We welcome into Equity anyone who is currently working professionally in any of these, and other areas.
To join Equity you need to complete an application form and the entrance fee and subscription. You will also need to provide proof that you are eligible for Equity membership under one of the criteria below. If you have this electronically you can join online now.
Evidence of Paid Professional Work
- One job on an Equity contract in film, television, radio or theatre as an actor, audio artist, dancer, singer, stage management, theatre director, theatre designer or choreographer.
- Evidence of earnings in excess of £500 from the industry in an area of work covered by Equity. If you are aged 16 or under your earnings must be in excess of £250.
Work from outside the UK
- If you have worked professionally overseas and can provide proof of your employment and earnings or membership of a FIA affiliated union then you are eligible for Equity membership.
If you are a student on one of the following courses we will be happy to take you into full Equity membership as soon as you graduate without you having to provide proof of of professional work within the entertainment industry.
- Drama UK vocational courses
- CDET (Council for Dance Education and Training) accredited schools
- Singing courses at Music Conservatoires
- Theatre Design courses (full-time)
- Royal Academy of Music’s Musical Theatre course
- The National Centre for Circus Arts' BA course in Circus Skills.
- If you are on a higher or further education course (NQF level 2 or above) lasting one year or more which is preparing you for work creatively in the entertainment industry as any kind of performer, stage management, theatre designer, theatre director, choreographer, or professional broadcaster, you can become an Equity Student Member as soon as you start your course.
- If this is your situation you can join now.
- The exceptions to this are GCSEs and A Levels.