Equity at London Fashion Week
13 February 2012
Equity and the British Fashion Council have come together to ensure all models working at London Fashion Week this month are protected by an agreed code of practice. This is part of the cross-industry Models Programme aimed at promoting good conditions for fashion models working in the UK.
The London Promotes initiative is championing the following guidance for fashion show promoters and photographers:
- Privacy – models need privacy, care and a backstage code of conduct
- Payment rates – payments to models must be at least equal to the Model Programme recommended minimums
- Opportunities – London Fashion Week provides opportunities for models to obtain prestigious British and International campaigns
- Model Programme – this alliance of Association of Model Agencies, the British Fashion Council, Equity and the Greater London Authority works together for models welfare
- Age – only models over 16 can work on the London Fashion Week catwalks
- Employment term – models ‘conditions of employment are covered by the Model Programme’s minimum terms
- Equity – joining this union for models offers the right to Union protection.
Unfortunately Sanctuary, the safe haven for models working during London Fashion Week, will not take place this year as a venue could not be secured.