Welcome to Equity's area for stage management
Equity supports and represents Stage Management throughout their working lives, providing information, representation, advice and insurance.
Stage Management is a crucial part of the process of creating and maintaining theatrical productions. Equity recognises this by linking the performers and stage management together in all the nationwide theatre agreements that it negotiates, such as: Commercial Theatre, West End, Subsidised Repertory and Independent Theatre.
Stage managers and performers, strengthened by this link, achieve the best agreements for all. We also negotiate a number of individual agreements such as: the RSC, National Theatre, Shakespeare’s Globe, Royal Exchange Theatre, National Theatre of Scotland, Chichester Festival Theatre, the Menier and the Gate.
Equity has also negotiated contracts when new production companies emerge eg Chester Grosvenor Park Company. Stage Management members participate in all our negotiations and have an important role to play in Equity. Your voice should be heard loud and clear. It is vital if we are to continue to represent you and obtain the best possible terms and conditions for you that you join us in this endeavour.
As well as providing you with individual advice, assistance and representation, whether you are working on an Equity contract or not, membership also brings with it the following benefits.
- £10 million worth of Public Liability Insurance
- Specialist advice on tax, national insurance and state benefits
- Accident and backstage insurance
- The services of an Equity Deputy on most productions
- Job Information service
- A union that campaigns on all aspects of your working life
- Offices all around the UK
- Local branches so that you can get involved with the democracy of the union
- The opportunity to make contact with others in the wider entertainment industry
- The Equity Pension Scheme
- Legal representation and advice when things go wrong: Personal injury claims, contract/monetary disputes
- A dedicated stage management place on the ruling body of Equity
Stage manager Fiona H Mott supports Equity
“It is a fallacy that Equity does nothing for Stage Management, my experience is quite the opposite. Equity champions the role of stage management, recognising the vital role the stage management team plays in productions and fighting our corner to be treated and paid fairly. The more of us that join, the more influence the union will have in promoting the concerns of stage managers. Together we are stronger.”
Stage Management Committee
Find out more about Equity's Stage Management Committee
To learn more, contact Virginia Wilde at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 670 0239