Updated December 2021
Guidance on working in the creative industries during Covid-19, including how to work safely and where to find financial support. This advice will be regularly updated so please check back and follow us on Facebook and Twitter @EquityUK for the latest updates.
Find relevant advice for your sector:
Financial support and advice
The Financial Support Guide provides members with information on social security and other possible sources of support. It includes references to more detailed guides on our website. For any queries on the guide please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Help with subs from the union
Other sources of support
- Creative Scotland have put together three funding programmes designed to provide further support to sustain Scotland's creative community during the COVID-19 outbreak. For more information visit Creative Scotland's website.
Cancellation and contract issues
Where you are worried about an engagement being cancelled or a contract being terminated due to coronavirus issues, please contact the relevant Equity Official for specific advice about your situation. Officials’ details can be found on the meet the team pages on our website.
If you aren't sure who the most relevant Official is to your area of work contact Sam Winter on email@example.com.
‘Force majeure’ or cancellation due to unforeseeable circumstances
A matter that may arise in relation to cancelled engagements or contracts is the concept of ‘force majeure’. This will usually be a clause in the contract that outlines circumstances under which the contract may be said to have been cancelled because of events or circumstances outside the engagers control. Another concept is ‘frustration of contract’ where the contract may be said to have been discontinued because of unforeseen circumstances.
The issues around these, and other contract matters, are never simple and often subject to interpretation, so your Equity Official is the first port of call for any query. Officials can obtain further detailed legal advice on your behalf where necessary.
Advice for students
Take a look at our advice for student members.
Covid 19 - Rights and benefits during pregnancy and maternity leave
At this worrying time, many of us are experiencing stress or anxiety. You can find help on our mental health resource pages, including how to access free counselling, plus more resources on the ArtsMinds website.
- General Government guidance on coronavirus - plus specific advice for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- ACAS advice on coronavirus and the workplace
- Equity's Tax and Welfare Rights Advice Line is open on Mondays and Thursdays from 10-1pm and 2-5pm. Call 0207 670 0223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Leading theatrical charities have come together to centralise information about how and where you can access support if you work in the theatre industry. Visit theatresupport.info for more information.