Theatre & live performance
Advice for theatre workers
Updated 5 July 2021
The government have announced that the remaining COVID restrictions will be lifted from 19 July, this means that legal requirements such as mask wearing will drop away and responsibility for such measures will move to individuals and employers.
It’s important for you to know your rights and responsibilities.
What are your responsibilities as a worker and what are your employer’s responsibilities to you?
- Please see Guidance from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in collaboration with the Trades Union Congress (TUC).
- For more detailed information of responsibilities and rights, please go to the HSE website.
Everyone has a responsibility to mitigate public health risks. Both our members and producers have a responsibility to mitigate the risk of illness and disruption to scheduled performances from COVID-19. We encourage our members to undertake regular testing, get vaccinated, and manage risks on the journey to and from work, for example, through the continued use of masks on public transport.
We expect producers and theatres to take sensible and effective measures in order to minimise risk to all theatre workers, and to audiences and the public.
If your production does not yet have an Equity Deputy in place, please elect one at your earliest opportunity and contact us to let us know the name of the show you’re working on and who your deputy is going to be.
Questions? Get in touch with us
Any member of Equity, performers, stage management and creative team members with queries should contact the relevant official. When you do so, please provide a copy of the contract you are working on, and any relevant correspondence relating to your production.
- In the West End, contact Hannah Plant: email@example.com
- For Commercial & Subsidised Theatre, contact Charlotte Bence: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For fringe theatre and the Independent Sector, contact Karrim Jalali: email@example.com
- If you are working outside of London, find details of your Regional or National Official.