Equity is the UK trade union that represents performers and creative practitioners working across the entertainment industry. Our membership is made up of professional such as:
Actors, choreographers, dancers, theatre directors, models, singers, stage management, stand ups, storytellers, stunt performers and co-ordinators, theatre designers, theatre fight directors, TV and radio presenters, variety, circus, cabaret and light entertainment artists, voice artists, walk-on and supporting artists.
We welcome into Equity anyone who is currently working professionally in any of these, and other areas.
To join Equity you need to complete an application form and pay the entrance fee and subscription. You will also need to provide proof that you are eligible for Equity membership under one of the criteria below. If you have this proof in an electronic format you can JOIN ONLINE NOW.
Evidence of Paid Professional Work
- One job on an Equity contract in film, television, radio or theatre as an actor, audio artist, dancer, singer, stage management, theatre director, theatre designer or choreographer. Please note this does not include Equity student production contracts.
- Evidence of earnings in excess of £500 from the industry in an area of work covered by Equity. If you are aged 17 or under your earnings must be in excess of £250.
Work from outside the UK
If you have worked professionally overseas and can provide proof of your employment and earnings or membership of a FIA affiliated union then you are eligible for Equity membership.
If you have graduated from a performing arts course in the last two years. Graduate members get access to all the benefits associated with Full Equity membership at half the price for a period of up to two years.
You cannot become a graduate member if you have already been a full member of Equity.
- If you are on a higher or further education course (NQF level 2 or above) lasting one year or more which is preparing you for work creatively in the entertainment industry as any kind of performer, stage management, theatre designer, theatre director, choreographer, or professional broadcaster, you can become an Equity Student Member as soon as you start your course.
- If this is your situation you can join now.
- The exceptions to this are GCSEs and A Levels.
- You cannot become a student member if you have already been a full member of Equity.