Who can join Equity?
Equity is for entertainment professionals
We represent actors, choreographers, comedians, dancers, drag artists, theatre directors, models, singers, stage management, storytellers, stunt performers and co-ordinators, theatre designers, theatre fight directors, TV and radio presenters, variety, circus, cabaret and light entertainment artists, voice artists and supporting artists.
Examples of professions we do not represent include writers, session musicians who do not sing, camera operators, sound engineers and fitness instructors.
If you are not sure if we represent you contact email@example.com
Evidence needed to join
If you are re-joining and were a full member before, you don't need to provide evidence again.
To join Equity as a full member, you need to demonstrate either that:
- You have earned £500 or more from professional work in the entertainment and performing arts industry. We can accept contracts, invoices, emails, letters, wage or payslip that confirms the following details:
- The dates you worked
- The type of work you did (i.e. dancer, stunt performer etc)
- How much you were paid
- You can provide proof of membership of an FIA-affiliated union: fia-actors.com
- You have undertaken a job on an Equity contract.
Child membership is for young people aged 10 to 17 (inclusive). To join Equity as a child member you need to demonstrate either that you have earned £250 or more from professional work in the entertainment and performing arts industry, or you are a member of an FIA-affiliated union: fia-actors.com, or that you have undertaken a job on an Equity contract.
Student or graduate membership
You studied on one of the courses jointly recognised by Equity and Spotlight. When you complete the online joining form you will be able to see if your course is recognised. If it is not listed on the form contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Long Service membership
To qualify for Long Service membership, which offers a 50% discount on membership rates, you need to:
- have been a member of Equity for over 21 years continuously
- be over the age of 65
To be eligible for retired membership, you will need to have accumulated 50 years of continuous membership (without breaks) and be of the age of 65 years old or over.