Local Branch Decemeber Newsletter 2012
1 December 2012
NO MEETING THIS MONTH!
…but there is a
Sunday 9th December 1.30-5pm
At 39 Arundel Street, Brighton
Buses: 1, 7, 27
Please bring a bottle
Dear fellow members,
As is our custom, we don’t have a meeting in December; as is our custom, we do have a party, and it’s at Kate Dyson’s house. If you can come, a bottle would be appreciated – also, if you want, some nibbles. We hope to have a raffle, if we can sort out some prizes. Hope to see you there.
My friends, at least four of the present committee have decided not to seek re-election this time round, so I hope very much that some of you will volunteer to serve on the committee for the next two-year stint. I’m very proud of our branch, and I’m told it’s one of the most vibrant, but as we move to a new Equity structure and the digital age takes hold, fresh minds are needed. If you care about our union and its members, it’s a very rewarding experience, not over-taxing, and at times a lot of fun, so please, guys, think seriously about standing (see nomination form at the end of this newsletter).
Last week I went to see branch member Nigel Nevinson in his one-man play The Trials and Tribulations of Mr Pickwick. Very good. It was at a new fringe venue, the Purple Playhouse. I can’t recommend it highly enough – I think one of the best venues in Brighton and Hove; if you’re looking for a venue for a production, it’s well worth thinking about.
If I don’t see you before, happy Christmas!
P.S. Minutes of the November meeting will appear in the January newsletter.
Branch Members in Action
• David Fielder is rehearsing with the RSC for Hamlet and As You Like It.
• Dani Carbery is organising Stanza and Deliver, a poetry slam at The Dukebox, Hove, on 14th Dec.
• Jenny Rowe is in the Maydays’ Christmas shows at Komedia Studio on 19th, 20th, 22nd and 23rd Dec.
• Keith Drinkel plays Laurence Olivier in the one-man show Larry at The Dukebox on Fri 30th Nov and Saturday 1st Dec. Tickets available online at www.wegottickets.com/event/193181
• Sarah Gordy is co-directing and playing the Virgin Mary in The Infant King at All Saints Centre, Lewes, on 1st Dec (http://tickets.oysterproject.org.uk). She is also performing in the BBC Radio 3 drama The Good Samaritan on 18th Dec.
• Barbara Whatley is appearing in a BBC documentary on the life and legacy of Marie Curie.
• Debbie Bridge will perform Miss Givings at Latest Music Bar on 17th Jan. Showcasing the work of great American songwriters, with script by Robert Cohen, direction by Nick Quirke & design by Peta Taylor.
• Robert Cohen is rehearsing The Trials of Harvey Matusow for shows in January, at the Dukebox in Hove (10th/11th) and the Tristan Bates Theatre in London (13th-15th). www.bobbycohen.co.uk