Mayor George Ferguson is Making Sundays Special
21 June 2013
- Sunday 23 June
- Sunday 21 July
- Sunday 18 August
- Sunday 29 September
- Sunday 20 October
Events take place from 11am to 4pm (roads will be closed from 9am til 6pm)
- Basketball – have-a-go sessions and team games.
- Family sports fun trails - follow the treasure hunt and have a go at different sports
- Hula Hooping - shows and lessons from Zoe Hoop Troop
- Swing Dance - lessons and demos
- Kizomba - dance classes and demos
- Flower Mandala - creating street art
- Streets Alive – street lounges and workshops.
- Batala - samba drummers
- St Nicholas Market
- Mullion Cove market local food and drink produce from some of the finest artisan producers in the South West
- Tours of the Corn Exchange
- Historic Tours of Castle Park – one thousand years of Bristol, see some of the remains of Bristol Castle and St Peter's Church.
Meet at old Norwich Union building on the edge of Castle Park - look for the man with the Make Sundays Special lollipop who is your tour guide.
Time of tours - 11.30am, 1pm and 2.30pm
Free tour, maximum 25 people.
- Circus and street performers – including Circomediastudents, Desperate Men, Mildred and Henry, Lady in Black and Amazing Wayne riding his giant unicycle.
- Balloon modellers
- Chess - lessons, playing and a giant chess set
- TravelWest Roadshow team – travel advice, route planing and taster tickets.
- Dr Bike – free bike checks and basic fixes
- Schumacher College SCHed talks speakers and performers ask "What If?"
- Brew Dog - food stalls, face painting, hula hooping, jewellery stall, live music and DJs.
- Big Chill - DJs and Mi Casa BBQ
- Europa pasta and pizza restaurant offering £6 special lunch deals
- The Ambling Band
- Choirs - including The Big Act, Gurt Lush Choir, Bristol Fashion Ladies Barbershop Choir, Free Range Acapella
- Children's Scrapstore – play with scrap, arts and crafts plus street games
- Bristol Roller Derby - Demos
- A 'led run' for beginners around the cycling/walking route at 1pm (please arrive at 12.50). Give it a go, bring a friend along.
If you would like to take part please complete the 'led run' sign up form
- In Castle park, we have Fitness4less exercise classes. Full timetable of Fitness4less events (pdf, 12 KB)(opens new window)
- Public art commission "i didn't see you there" Sculptures on Victoria Street, Portwall Lane, Redcliff Street and Queen Square.
Plus, cycle or walk a signposted route around the city – through to Creative Common at the Enterprise Zone and fitness sessions in Castle Park.
In the surrounding areas there will also be lots of other activities, including:
- Big Green Week - Park Street Playground, Electric Sunday in Millennium Square and a music stage at Cascade Steps
- Castle Park - fitness classes
- Harbourside's new Sunday Brunch Market
- Creative Common - No Fit State Circus 'BIANCO'
The event is constantly developing with more groups signing up all the time, keep checking back to see what is new.
It's your city and your event - if you'd like to get involved either helping out as a volunteer or bring a performance down one Sunday – please get in touch!
Contact email@example.com or call Esther on 0117 922 3538 or Claire Teasdale on 0117 922 4665.
If your idea involves selling food or drink commercially, email our markets team - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All city car parks will be accessible although not necessarily by a route that you would normally use due to some closures being in place.
- On street parking will be free as usual on a Sunday although it will be suspended on closed roads.
- Public transport will be largely unaffected except for limited bus detours with Baldwin Street closed. View Make Sundays Special bus diversion map (pdf, 487 KB)(opens new window). For further information see theFirst Service updates page.
- First are offering unlimited family travel (Up to 5 people, maximum 2 adults) for only £5 on Make Sundays Special days. See First family travel poster (jpeg, 441 KB)(opens new window).
- For details of road closures see the Make Sundays Special map in the related documents section of this page. The roads will be closed from 9am until 6pm.
For all traffic related enquiries call 0117 9031212 or email our traffic team -email@example.com.
We'll keep this page updated with activities for the next Special Sunday events, in the meantime, here's a taster of what to expect
- 21 July – Bristol Cycle Festival, Big Family Film Screening for The Wallace and Gromit Grand Appeal
- 18 August - Ping & Ting
- 29 September – City of Circus initiative.
- 20 October - World's largest cycle powered, cycle-in cinema