31 January 2019
At its meeting in January 2019, the Equity Council made the following decisions:
- To approve the union’s 2018 accounts
- To approve expenditure on the replacement of the air conditioning and heating system in the union’s London office.
- To appoint Popularis Ltd to provide the union’s Membership Audit Certificate for 2018 and to act as Scrutineer for the 2019 committee elections.
- To appoint the General Secretary to act as Scrutineer for the election of representatives to the 2019 Annual Representative Conference.
- To review the trial of the reformed Online Branch in September 2019.
- To endorse the report of the Arts Policy & Campaigning Working Party, which will be publish to members as an “Arts & Culture Manifesto”.
- To endorse the nomination of Suzy Martell to represent Equity at the York TUC.
- To change the composition of the LGBT+ Committee from the 2019 elections onward to
- 3 female-identifying members
- 3 male-identifying members
- 3 Trans members, including (but not limited to) transgender, non-binary, genderfluid, genderqueer and intersex members.
- To review the role of and areas covered by Area and National Councillors.
- To conduct a review of Equity’s green strategy.
The Council also discussed:
- Equity’s Women & Games event on 8 March 2019
- Cultural Appropriation
- Commercial Dance Network
- Short notice decision making
- Members’ legal cases
- The AEA Lab & Development Work Strike in New York, and the union’s letter of solidarity.
The Council also welcomed a new record number of members in benefit, with the union’s total membership (excluding students) now standing at 45,575.
You can contact the Council via their page on the website.