31 January 2020
Council Digest January 2020
At its meeting in January 2020, the Equity Council made the following decisions:
- To approve the draft annual accounts for 2019.
- To approve the launch of a new 24/7 mental health and wellbeing service for members in February 2020.
- Not to change the Rules & Standing Orders of National & Regional AGMs to permit remote access.
- To approve the co-option of 4 members to the Directors & Designers Committee (Zoe Spurr, Madeleine Girling, Philip D’Orleans and Charlotte Peters).
- To campaign against the proposed closure of the Department for Culture, Media & Sport.
The Council also discussed:
- The British Equity Collecting Society
- The online branch
- Netflix dubbing discussions
- Performance Capture/ SVoD – international definitions
- Terms & conditions for commercial dancers
- Carbon free pensions
- The future of the union’s finance department
- The election process for the new General Secretary
- The joint meeting of the Equalities Committees on 4 December 2019
- The Minority Ethnic Members Committee’s Twitter account & social media guidance
- The Making An Appearance report on aesthetic labour
- The engagement of Equity members as dance and drama tutors
The Council marked the death of member Nicholas Parsons which was announced during the meeting.
The Council also welcomed a new record number of members in benefit, with the union’s total membership (excluding students) now standing at 48,176.