What to do if you are involved in an accident at work

Accident at work

If you are involved in an accident, it is important that you seek proper compensation for any injuries you sustained until you are able to return to work. You should also claim the relevant welfare benefits.

As soon as possible after an accident you should:

Record the full details in the accident book at the place of work. All workplaces should have one of these but if there is no such book, then write down the details of the accident and the contact information of potential witnesses as fully as possible. This information is vital for claiming welfare benefits or when taking legal action against the employer. Also make sure the Equity Deputy on your production knows about the accident.

Contact, or ask someone to contact on your behalf, your nearest Equity office for advice. It may be possible to claim compensation if it can be established that the accident resulted from the negligence of the employer or other or a third party. We will advise you of what to do and how to apply for our legal protection.

Make sure you are aware of Equity Members' Accident and Backstage Insurance Cover. Nearly all full members who are up to date with their Equity subscriptions are automatically covered by this policy. As soon as possible after the accident complete a claim form and send it to Equity's head office within 14 days of the accident. You can call First Act Insurance on 020 8686 5050 or visit www.firstact.co.uk for information.

Remember that dancers and physical artists should be aware of Equity's Dancers' and Physical Artists' Accident Cover which makes payments for specialist scans not readily available on the NHS and costs £12.59 per year to take out.

Further advice

Fire Juggling on street in Edinburgh


Information about insurance available to Equity members.