Domestic abuse support

If there is an emergency, call the police on 999.

If you need support or advice from the police and it’s not an emergency, call the UK police non-emergency number 101.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or can’t verbally communicate, you can use the police textphone service on 18001 101 or register with the UK’s emergencySMS service.

Not every home is a place of safety. With social distancing and lockdown restrictions in place across the UK, victims of domestic abuse are at risk of increased isolation with reduced access to safe spaces. 

It is important to know that household isolation instructions do not apply if you need to leave your home to escape domestic abuse.

In these unusual times we can all work to support victims of domestic abuse. The TUC has put together a guide for employers and reps to identify the signs of domestic abuse, support victims and stop further abuse.

For those experiencing domestic abuse, or concerned that someone else might be, we’ve compiled a list of helplines and websites for organisations who can provide you with information and support.


National Domestic Abuse Helpline
0808 2000 247

Wales Live Fear Free Helpline  
0808 8010 800  

Scottish Women’s Aid  
0131 226 6606

Women’s Aid Federation (Northern Ireland)
0800 917 1414


Men’s Advice Line
0808 801 0327

Survivors UK
Online helpline; SMS, 020 3322 1860

ManKind Initiative
01823 334244


National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline (LGBT )
0800 999 5428

Childline (under 18s)
0800 1111

The Mix (under 25s)
0808 808 4994

SignHealth (D/deaf people)
Text or WhatsApp, 07970 350366

Respect phoneline (perpetrators of domestic violence)
0808 802 4040 

For more resources: